Pages

Thursday, October 27, 2005

The Truth of Lies

A friend told me the other day that 83% of all statistics are made up on the spot. Which got me thinking we is it that we feel the need to lie? I thought that the answer was pretty easy. I thought it went back to the garden when Adam lied about Eve giving him the apple but then I went back to the text (see below) but then i realized that Adam never lied, he is guilty of many sins but lying is not one of them. So I thought when was the first time that lying was introduced to humans, so I kept reading and it is not until chapter 4 with Cain and Abel (see below).

Now one thing that made this interesting to me is that i was always taught that all the sins that we go through where passed down through Adam but this means that we as humans we can come up with new was to sin all on our own. You see Satan is never mentioned as the one to insight Cain, the text suggests that Cain preformed this action all on his own. So if we can come up with sins on our own and they can become a part of us (ingrained into our lives) then where is the hope?

The place I found that hope is (guess where) in Christ. His sacrifice on the cross made a prevision for you and me to live this life and not be damned to hell. The whole book off romans talks about this and tells us how much we need Christ, it is only through him living his life through us that we can know the fullness of it. It is in the loss of our life that we can find it, it is only when we close our eyes that we can truly see and that is my encouragement.

In Christ
PJ


Genesis 3

1 Now the serpent was more crafty than any beast of the field which the LORD God had made. And he said to the woman, "Indeed, has God said, 'You shall not eat from any tree of the garden'?" 2 The woman said to the serpent, " From the fruit of the trees of the garden we may eat; 3 but from the fruit of the tree which is in the middle of the garden, God has said, 'You shall not eat from it or touch it, or you will die.'" 4 The serpent said to the woman, "You surely will not die! 5 "For God knows that in the day you eat from it your eyes will be opened, and you will be like God, knowing good and evil." 6 When the woman saw that the tree was good for food, and that it was a delight to the eyes, and that the tree was desirable to make one wise, she took from its fruit and ate; and she gave also to her husband with her, and he ate. 7 Then the eyes of both of them were opened, and they knew that they were naked; and they sewed fig leaves together and made themselves loin coverings.
8 They heard the sound of the LORD God walking in the garden in the cool of the day, and the man and his wife hid themselves from the presence of the LORD God among the trees of the garden. 9 Then the LORD God called to the man, and said to him, " Where are you?" 10 He said, " I heard the sound of You in the garden, and I was afraid because I was naked; so I hid myself." 11 And He said, "Who told you that you were naked? Have you eaten from the tree of which I commanded you not to eat?" 12 The man said, "The woman whom You gave to be with me, she gave me from the tree, and I ate." 13 Then the LORD God said to the woman, "What is this you have done?" And the woman said, " The serpent deceived me, and I ate."

Genesis 4

1 Now the man had relations with his wife Eve, and she conceived and gave birth to Cain, and she said, "I have gotten a man-child with the help of the LORD." 2 Again, she gave birth to his brother Abel. And Abel was a keeper of flocks, but Cain was a tiller of the ground. 3 So it came about in the course of time that Cain brought an offering to the LORD of the fruit of the ground. 4 Abel, on his part also brought of the first-lings of his flock and of their fat portions. And the LORD had regard for Abel and for his offering; 5 but for Cain and for his offering He had no regard. So Cain became very angry and his countenance fell. 6 Then the LORD said to Cain, " Why are you angry? And why has your countenance fallen? 7 " If you do well, will not your countenance be lifted up? And if you do not do well, sin is crouching at the door; and its desire is for you, but you must master it." 8 Cain told Abel his brother. And it came about when they were in the field, that Cain rose up against Abel his brother and killed him. 9 Then the LORD said to Cain, " Where is Abel your brother?" And he said, "I do not know. Am I my brother's keeper?"

1 comment:

Monique said...

why is it that it tooke me so long to find your blog? why is it that i didn't realize that you have one until like yesterday? i'm a retard. but i miss ya buddy and i'm excited that you and the girls are coming soon. i have a lot to tell you about....well, lots of things. talk to you soon!