Pages

Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Generous Orthodoxy


In the past few weeks I have been reading a book by Brian D. McLaren called "Generous Orthodoxy". When I started reading this book I ad just finished reading one of his other books called "A New Kind Of Christian" and was very interested in reading this book, I have been wanting to read this book for about a year now.

Each chapter in the book explores a different aspect of the Christian life except for the first four chapters which tells the story of Brian's life and the first years of his Christian life. At first the book was very interesting and challenged me to think about my life and what I thought about the Christian life, but as the book went on it started to drag on and on. In the first few chapters it was a good look at the denominations inside the Christian faith and telling how well they show God.

In some of his criticisms of the Christian faith he would talk about a better Post-modern way of doing things but when I was reading it just sounded like it was replacing one modern way of thinking with another modern way of thinking. Really all the book sounded like was a Modern would view trying to sound like a Post-modern would view. I would suggest that with this book if you read, to read it at the same time as you read one of the Gospels.

No comments: