Pages

Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Pontificating About Or Around Midnight

This post is a tag on to the last post about listening and is my thoughts on why people are resistant to change. While thinking about change over the past few days the question that would come into my mind is what would people lose by accepting change and even changing themselves, as I pondered on that thought the scenario that I laid out in my last post (because that is the most prevalent in my life right now) and in the course of those thoughts one occurred to me that I had never thought of before. What could a person lose if they were to accept change and maybe even change themselves? The answer would be pride.

No matter what there is a lot of danger to a persons pride in changing. If a person changes there is a part of them that is admitting that there is a better way to do something and depending on the context even going as far as having to admit that they were wrong. But even worse is if the person does change and that change doesn't work then that person has to swallow his or her pride and say that the change was wrong. In the scenario that I put forward in the previous post the group would have been skeptical of any change in the person because it would upset the comfort and complacency that the group would have set up for themselves. If the person shows something in the others that they aren't comfortable with or not, in their own minds, ready to hear then they will be very resistant to what the person has to say and maybe at worst to the person.

But then again maybe not, I will be the first to say that there are holes in this theory. Please post and tell me what you think. If I am as consumed by these thoughts in the next week as I have been over the past few days you can count and another post or two.

No comments: