Pages

Saturday, April 05, 2008

Actions Speak Louder then Intent


Recently I have been thinking about intent and our actions. This wasn't sparked by my own mindless mutterings in my normal meaningless thoughts, the thought was started from a picture that I saw on Reuters (Pictured to the left). The post talks about how people in Brazil, who where apart of a movement there called the Landless Workers Movement, where forced from their land and their homes. The government has many reasons that they point to as why they are doing this and I have to say from reading the information on Wikipedia about the movement I am not sure that I would completely agree with the philosophy of the Landless Workers Movement (although I am not saying that I would completely disagree either), but I do have to say that seeing this picture I would say that i can't side with anyone or any government in this case when this is one of the consequence of their actions. Now granted I don't know the context surrounding this picture but I don't really think that you need to in order to make a judgment call on whether or not this is justifiable for Brazil to be doing (at least in this manner). Even if the Brazilian government is justified in opposing this movement and the ultimate intent is for peace the actions are showing a cold and forceful oppression. It's an old lesson but a valuable one, the end does not justify the means no matter how justified the end is.

No comments: